Use this versatile dough for delicious sweet treats or savory versions. Ciril has included several options but get creative and formulate your own healthy indulgence!
This BeneGrain Sprouted Whole Wheat formulation was developed and tested for Bay State Milling by Master Baker and Educator, Ciril Hitz.
Sweet Dough made with BeneGrain Formulation
WATCH: Ciril Hitz bakes with BeneGrain Sprouted Wheat Flour
(f) denotes flour ingredients.
|WEIGHT (g) PERCENTAGE INGREDIENTS|
|7281 192.9% TOTAL|
Dough Preparation (Final Dough Weight - 3856 grams)
- Warm all of the liquid ingredients to 55 degrees F.
- Pour liquid in a 20 qt. mixer and add all of the dry ingredients.
- Mix on first speed until clean-up stage using a dough hook, approximately 4 minutes.
- Soften butter by beating it with a rolling pin. Slowly add butter to dough in stages, increasing mixing speed to 2. Mix for about 2-5 minutes.
- When the dough has a medium developed window, you can give it one and one-half hours of bulk fermentation at room temperature.
- Place on a sprayed parchment lined sheet pan, cover with plastic and place in fridge overnight.
- Next day, weight each Russian twist to 360-380 gram units and roll into a 12 inch square.
- Spread the filling to one inch away from the top edge, brush the top edge with some egg wash and roll like a jelly toll towards that edge.
- Cut the roll in half along the length and with a twisting motion bring it back on the exposed edge side. Place in a loaf pan 8"L x 3"W x 3-4"H.
- Proof until it has crested the top or doubled in size, approximately 60-90 minutes.
- Bake in a convection oven for 25-30 minutes at 340-350 degrees F.
- Glaze and finish while still warm.
- FOR HAZELNUT VERSION: Fill with the hazelnut filling and proceed with the above directions (steps 8 & 9). Once baked, glaze immediately and sprinkle with some ground pistachios.
- FOR SAVORY VERSION: Fill with a pesto of choice, sprinkle with ground parmesan cheese and proceed with the above directions (steps 8 & 9). After 15 minutes of baking, remove the loaf from the oven and sprinkle the top of the loaf with some grated cheese of choice and continue to follow directions.
- FOR CINNAMON ROLLS: When dividing the dough, divide into 2000 gram units and roll the dough to about 20" x 36". Sprinkle the cinnamon filling on top but stop 1 inch from the top edge. Brush the edge that is not covered by the filling with egg wash. Roll the dough towards this brushed top. When dividing this dough, the yield should be 18 even cinnamon buns that can be placed in a sheet pan and handled the same way as the above mentioned projects. Make sure to glaze them while still warm.
The information contained in this publication is based on our own research and development work and is to the best of our knowledge reliable. Users should, however, conduct their own tests to determine the suitability of our products for their own specific purposes. Statements contained herein should not be considered as a warranty of any kind, expressed or implied, and no liability is accepted for the infringement of any patents.